Saturday, February 20, 2010

Wilderness Karis, Activate!

So tonight I went to a Rugby League game. It was the Queensland Cowboys vs. the New Zealand Warriors. I was sad that it wasn't a Union game (I have no idea what the difference between the two types of rugby are) because the Union Kiwi team is the All Blacks and before each game they do a Haka, a traditional Maori war chant and dance. It is terrifying. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cle20lQg0Qs

Maybe I will get to go to a game against the All Blacks before my time here is over. But anyway, it was fun. It was "bucketing down" as they say here (pouring rain) and we were sitting in the grass. My host mom lent me a poncho, so it wasn't terrible, and it stopped raining before the end. Watching rugby in the rain is actually pretty epic because when they slam into each other you can see water splash off of them.

Australia has much better sports than us, between two types of rugby and Aussie Rules. American football is boring. They wear pads and actually stop play every time someone gets tackled! Not nearly as hardcore.

For the first half I sat with my friend Eliza and her host dad who was nice enough to explain the rules to us. New Zealand kicked Australia's ass, but it was fun anyway. It helped that the whole night only cost me AU$2.90. My host mom drove me in and my host brother gave me the tickets for free since he couldn't go, so all I had to pay for was the bus back! I have become such a cheapskate here, it's sad. But everything is so expensive!

Tonight is the last night of my homestay. You won't hear from me for at least a week! This is the part where we head out of civilization for a while. We're camping with two Aboriginal elders for the week. Proper camping: no electronics of any kind. We are not even allowed to bring watches. We're on "Murri Time". I can't really fathom not knowing what time it is for a week. I look at my watch constantly. No cameras either, which will be hard when everything is so awesome! Jack will be taking pictures that he'll give to us, though.

It might drive me crazy, but I think it'll be really awesome to just get in a different headspace for a while. I'm bringing my book on Aboriginal uses for rainforest plants and we are going to forage! Also, they're teaching us how to throw spears and boomerangs. And maybe play the didgeridoo. And we get to listen to Aboriginal stories around the campfire. And they'll give us Aboriginal names reflecting who we are (I am worried I will get something terrible). Did I mention the spears and boomerangs? I AM SO EXCITED!!! My life is awesome.

Anyway, I need to finish packing and go to sleep. We are only bringing one backpack's worth of stuff, but I still have to pack up the rest to put into storage. I love you all! Have a fantastic week, and I will tell you all about mine when I get back!

1 comment:

  1. According to Gaea, the All Blacks also play some gret, clean rugby. You should definitely go see them if you possibly can so I can further live vicariously though yet another great experience you're having.

    Your life is, indeed, quite awesome! I continue to be quite jealous.

    ReplyDelete