Saturday, February 13, 2010

Which Team Should I Cheer for This Time?

I don't think I can accurately describe how weird it is to watch the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics in ninety degree heat. Especially when they are taking place so close to home (relatively speaking). It is really really weird. When I watch the Winter Olympics it is curled up under a blanket with hot tea or cocoa and a giant pile of snow outside, not sweating in shorts and a t-shirt with all the windows open and a ceiling fan on full (my host family has air conditioning, but they only really use it at night, and even then it is on a timer).

It actually made me pretty homesick. I missed the snow a little watching everyone marching around with big fluffy coats on. Mostly though, it's weird not watching the Olympics with my family. I don't think there's been a Games yet that we haven't watched at least some of together. Also, it made me want to go to Canada, which I guess is what the cultural presentations are supposed to do, so good job, Canada! I wish they hadn't used the Joni Mitchell song from Love Actually, though. I can never hear that song without seeing Emma Thompson crying. Very depressing.

Whether or not Australia has less annoying commentators than the U.S. still remains to be seen. I can't remember if it's the woman who talks during skating in the Winter Olympics or the woman who talks during gymnastics in the Summer Olympics that I hate. Maybe it's both. Hopefully Australian commentators will not make me want to punch them! The accent is a good start. :P Hope you all enjoy the Olympics!

3 comments:

  1. It's Dick Button commenting on the figure skating that really annoys me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you go to Canada I would totally go with you. I've been wanting to visit there for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, on the pairs skating anyway, the commentators did NOT talk through the skating. They actually talked very little - almost not enough. And Dick Button isn't doing the commentating, they just bring him in and talk in the studio between performances sometimes. I got to fast forward through it tonight.

    ReplyDelete