Friday, January 29, 2010

Why did I think this was a good idea, again?

I'm freaking out. I seriously don't think I can do this. I feel stupid now but I didn't even really consider what the weather was going to be like. There's a bit of sun now, which is fantastic, but it is the wet season. I knew there would be rain, but I didn't really consider what rain all the time was going to be like, especially with the whole lack of sunlight = depression thing. In the meeting today the leader guy (Jack) was going over the next four months and I just sort of sat there thinking "Oh dear god, why did I think I could do this?! Why did I think this was a good idea?! How can I get out of this? If I broke my leg or got bitten by something poisonous would they let me go home? There is no way I can handle four months of this." I'm feeling a little bit better now but I still feel a lot like panicking. Why didn't I just spend a little bit of time thinking about this, you know? I mean, I thought a lot about it but obviously not about the important parts.

Also this internet thing is freaking me out. After a month at home of being on the internet basically all day every day and now I can only be on for a half hour for free, an hour or two if I pay for it, and that is just at this hostel. I have no idea what it will be like at the homestay, and I know it will be less than that on the reef, and none at all in the rainforest, the aboriginal trip, or probably when we go up to the tablelands in a couple of days. I did this for a month over the summer, with no contact except letters and maybe maybe a phone call if I sat very still on a certain rock and for no more than a few minutes most of the time. But for some reason right now it seems unbearable. Not unbearable, just terrifying. I'm coming down from the initial panic. I wonder if this is a normal...

Just as I was typing that one of my roommates came in and told me she was feeling exactly the same way. At least I'm not alone, although I still feel stupid and really REALLY overwhelmed.

Good and bad news: we can go anywhere in Australia for our independent study project. Good in that if it seriously does rain for the next two months I can be somewhere sunny and not terrible for April and part of May. Bad in that I might once again be out on my own away from all the people I am going to get to know here which is a new and yet more terrifying situation. Good in that at the penguin place they said they had student jobs and internships and stuff. Maybe I could work with penguins! Or bats. Or...something in a not-rainy place.

Anyway, I am feeling a little better as I write this but I am still ridiculously homesick/schoolsick. So, if you are reading this (and I really have no idea how many of you do) could you maybe do me a favor and drop me an email or facebook message or...something? I don't care what it is or how long it is or anything, I just need some contact with friends and family so I don't implode. Please and thank you.

Love,
Karis

3 comments:

  1. I just sent you what I hope will be a cheering and helpful email, but just in case you only have time to check one thing I though I'd let you know here too that I miss you greatly and I will keep thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there and have a blast sister. I have a feeling that you'll soon be too interested in what you're doing to be thinking about wanting to leave. I know I'm still jealous that you're down there. We miss you and love you back here but we're really looking forward to hearing about all the interesting stuff you'll do and see. You wouldn't want to deprive us of that, would you?

    Love you sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there. The panic gets less bad and less often. And the adventure and experience is worth it beyond what I have words to express.

    You are doing awesome things, even if you can't see it from where you are.

    Gaea

    ReplyDelete